There are several contests that the club runs during the calendar year. The rules are as follows:
- Only a paid-up VHFC member’s fish will count.
- All lapsed dues must be paid up a minimum of 24 hours prior to any fish being weighed-in.
- The fish must be weighed in at one of our official weigh-in stations (we currently have 2) (see main page).
- The fish must be caught in Ocean County, NJ waters, or from a boat, which left from Ocean County and returned to Ocean County.
- All Fish must be weighed-in within 24 hours of being caught (the weigh-in is for the day the fish was caught).
- The fish must be legally caught and a legal size fish (NJ rules).
- The member, not someone else in their place, must weigh the fish in, and that member must sign the weigh-in sheet.
- Co-members and Junior members (as defined in our By-laws) are also eligible (and must weigh-in and sign for their own fish).
We have two year-long contests:
Angler of the Year aka Melanie Boytos Award
At our May 9th, 2008 meeting, Jim Hutchinson Sr. unveiled an annual tribute to our dearly departed friend Captain Melanie Boytos. Captain Melanie, also known as the Fisherqueen, was a close friend of this club and its members. Many of our members enjoyed the pleasure of fishing with her in and around the Barnegat Inlet area. This tribute will be in the form of an annual award for the VHFC angler of the year. Since Captain Melanie primarily fished for Fluke, Weakfish, Striped Bass and Bluefish, the award will be based on catching one of each of these coveted species. In our area, catching all four of these species is known as a Grand Slam (or Inshore Slam). Points will be awarded based on the size of the fish, and the club angler who has the most points at the end of the year, will win the award for that year. The rules are available by clicking the link above. To honor Captain Mel’s fishing prowess, you must complete the Grand Slam by weighing in at least one of each species over the course of the year to be eligible to win.
Due to the Weakfish population decline, we have amended the rules to include a fifth fish into the mix: Black Sea Bass, which Captain Melanie also had a fondness for. In the future, the award will be based on point totals of 4 of the 5 qualifying fish with the original four getting preferential consideration in keeping with the original Inshore Grand Slam. The table below has been updated to show the point totals for Black Sea Bass:
- Any 4 of the 5 eligible species weighed in will qualify a member for this award.
- To give preference to the original “Inshore Grand Slam” intent, any members’ catch of the original 4 species, regardless of point total, will supersede that of any other members’ catch which includes 3 of the original species and Black Sea Bass. (Note that if more than one member catches the original 4 species, the highest point total will determine the winner).
Captain Melanie Boytos Inshore Slam Award (VHFC Angler of the Year (AoY) Details).
The annual winners name will be engraved onto a plaque that will be displayed at the VHFC clubhouse.
|PTS||FLUKE||WEAKFISH||STRIPED BASS||BLUFISH||SEA BASS|
|1||Up to 2 lb||Up to 2 lb||Up to 10 lb||Up to 2 lb||Up to 1 lb|
|2||2 to 3 lb||2 to 3 lb||10 to 15 lb||2 to 3 lb||1 to 1.5 lb|
|3||3 to 4 lb||3 to 4 lb||15 to 20 lb||3 to 4 lb||1.5 to 2 lb|
|4||4 to 5 lb||4 to 6 lb||20 to 25 lb||4 to 6 lb||2 to 2.5 lb|
|5||5 to 6 lb||6 to 8 lb||25 to 30 lb||6 to 8 lb||2.5 to 3 lb|
|6||6 to 7 lb||8 to 10 lb||30 to 35 lb||8 to 11 lb||3 to 3.5 lb|
|7||7 to 8 lb||10 to 12 lb||35 to 40 lb||11 to 14 lb||3.5 to 4 lb|
|8||8 to 10 lb||12 to 14 lb||40 to 45 lb||14 to 17 lb||4 to 4.5 lb|
|9||10 to 12 lb||14 to 16 lb||45 to 50 lb||17 to 20 lb||4.5 to 5 lb|
|10||Over 12 lb||Over 16 lb||Over 50 lb||Over 20 lb||Over 5 lb|
Fish of the Year Awards Trophies will be awarded to the anglers catching the largest fish in each of the following species:
We also have Fish-of-the-Month contests for various species as shown below:
The largest fish caught during the month will be rewarded a $50 gift certificate to Fisherman’s Headquarters (no expiration). There are 20 FOM awards for 2018 as shown below:
|1 March – 30 April (3 Awards)||Winter Flounder, Striped Bass & Bluefish|
|1 – 31 May (2 Awards)||Striped Bass & Bluefish|
|25 May – 30 June (1 Award)
15 May – 22 June (1 Award)
|1 – 31 July (2 Awards)||Fluke & Sea Bass|
|1 – 31 August (2 Awards)||Fluke & Sea Bass|
|1 – 22 September (1 Award)
1 – 30 September (1 Award)
|1 – 31 October (3 Awards)||Blackfish & Bluefish & Striped Bass|
|8 October – 30 November (1 Award)||Sea Bass|
|1 – 30 November (3 Awards)||Blackfish & Bluefish & Striped Bass|
All awards will be $50 gift certificates to Fisherman’s Headquarters.
Bluefish minimum size is 5 lbs.
If no entry is made for a species / month, no award will be made.
There are no Fish of the Month awards for December, January & February. Legal fish caught during those months still qualify for Fish of the Year.
The Weight-in stations are:
Fisherman’s Headquarters, West Creek Bait & Tackle, Creekside Outfitters, BHW Marine Center & Sheltered Cove Marina